Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Travel Tip Tuesday: Havasupai Reservation

One of my most memorable college experiences was earning geology credits while backpacking through the Grand Canyon. It was mid-October when I went, and while the rims were brisk and cold, the bottom of the Canyon was moderately perfect. After traveling with a full pack down the winding trail to the bottom of the canyon, my tribe spent a couple of days nursing toe-jams and sore knees tender enough to keep us from going back up, but mild enough for day-jaunts to waterfalls, veins of pink granite, and the dirty silty snake of the Colorado.

I told myself then, at the young age of eighteen, that I would return. From that trip I heard of what must be the geographics of the most unique Indian Reservation, Havasupai, and I was convinced that the many waterfalls, kind people, and even a restaurant (rumor?) would provide for the most adventurous and unique vacation in my distant future. I am now thirty-three, and am still planning on making it there...someday.

Trouble is, this body of mine. How well could my knees hold up now when they naturally cart around my invisible backpack squished around my insides. I essentially pack around 50+ pounds of rocks everywhere I go, and my body is feeling it. I fear the pain would diminish the glory of that trip. It's quite possible my pride would forever be injured.




Funny thing is, I stole these pictures from an old friend who recently made my trip. Of course, she hasn't done the marriage, pregnancies and fat thing like I have, so she's still reliving my youth. For now, I get to live vicariously through her...between nursings, game nights, and Parent Teacher Conference. In case you're wondering, I wouldn't trade places alright? My family is a trip in itself thank you very much. I'm just a little sidetracked by all this fat.
So here's the deal. I'm still young right? I'm not dead. Maybe if I can get on the ball, I can go to Havasupai and even dare to throw on real swimwear (instead of a tanktop, sarong, low-browed baseball hat, and oversized sunglasses).

Havasupai waits Fat Mo-Mom. Maybe it awaits you too...

FatMormon would love to hear of fabulous vacation spots to visit, or even how a particular trip was affected by your health. Please send your tips to our team at fatmormon [at] ldsliving [dot] com. Thanks.

No comments: