Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Short, But Fat Introduction

I suppose a proper introduction would be appropriate. I'm the "Desk Job Junkie" -- a 29 year-old male who hopped right over the "pleasantly-plump" stage and landed into the "unpleasantly-plump" category.

Have you ever thought about WHY you're overweight? Ok, stupid question. You probably ask yourself that question as often as I do. So -- let’s make a list of reasons we think have contributed to our obesity. I’ll start:

My dad died of a brain tumor when I was 8 years-old.
I received very little emotional support being the seventh of eight children.
My mom remarried a man who tried to love us, but also resented us for many (some valid) reasons.
My older brother died in an accident when I was 18 years-old, then my little brother two years ago of sudden heart failure (training for a marathon).
I work 10-12 hrs a day in front of a computer and the few remaining golden hours are spent with my wife and two little ones.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Although some of the items in this list may be more extreme than yours, I’m convinced that we eat food to fill an emptiness. With the loss of a father at a young age, I immediately began to try and fill that emptiness with whatever positive stimulant I could find. Food. It releases dopamine from your brain to create a sense of satisfaction or fulfillment throughout your body. I couldn’t stop eating food because, much like a drug high, soon the dopamine would wear off and I would have to face the emotional emptiness again.

But wait, it gets worse. Once your body starts getting multiple, heavy doses of dopamine each day, the drug-like buzz becomes less potent and you need more. We become desensitized to our bodies natural feelings of satisfaction and fulfillment and crave more and more.

Being a chub isn't pleasant. I feel it limits my ability to enjoy life to the fullest. Every day I wonder how much more "pleasant" life might be if I were free from this effin' (one of my favorite expletives) weight.

So --- rather than give up and go binge on a gallon of burnt almond fudge, I think it’s about time to fight these demons and reclaim the life we deserve and crave so badly...crave more than any chocolate smothered fat-bomb out there.

We want you to join us on this blog. The only way to overcome is to create a network of peers who are in the same boat (capacity overload!) with the same goals. You don’t have to disclose your name --- just EVERYTHING else :)

Wouldn’t it be wicked cool to tell people that you lost all your fat because you had a strenuous and grueling blog regimen?! Join us today!

No comments: